1. Index
  2. » Raskaampaa
  3. » The Saints

#1 23.05.2007 11:03

shanks
Banned

The Saints

k

Last edited by shanks (01.10.2019 08:48)

#2 23.05.2007 11:26

Feggy
kaiken maailman dosentti

Re: The Saints

Kantsii vanhemmista katsoa ainakin Prehistoric sounds ja uudemmista vaikkapa A little Madness to be free. Hienoa ja persoonallista kitararockia.

Tässä Allmusic-biography:

Biography    by John Dougan

Roaring out of Brisbane, Australia, in 1977 with the punk-era classic "(I'm) Stranded," the Saints, despite going through numerous incarnations, were a part of rock & roll for more than 20 years, thanks mainly to their indefatigable leader (and founder), Chris Bailey. Although they didn't play anything that passes for punk rock after about 1978, and despite extended dormant periods, the Saints never officially broke up, and Bailey always seemed to have another version of the band and record ready to release. Saints fans generally fall into two distinct camps: the punk-era fans (up to about 1980) and the mature pop fans, which for American audiences begins with the release of All Fools Day in 1987. After co-founder Ed Kuepper left in 1979 and the band became Bailey's show, and the twists and turns he took them through (horns, folk/blues arrangements, as well his numerous solo excursions) produced some good music, but it was mostly scattershot and lacked focus, though Bailey did record two fine records with the late-'80s incarnation of the band.

Punk-era Saints were exactly what you'd expect: buzzsaw guitars, Bailey's pissed-off, nasal vocals, and locomotive rhythms supplied by bassist Kym Bradshaw and drummer Ivor Hay. After the LP (I'm) Stranded became a modest hit in England, the follow-up record, Eternally Yours, showed some changes (more varied tempos, acoustic guitars) that would set the stage for their third record, Prehistoric Sounds, which combined horn arrangements into a punk-ish sort of R&B. It was at this point that the Saints were beginning to change enough to not resemble the band they were just a scant two years earlier. Kuepper left to form the arty Laughing Clowns and eventually made a number of records as a solo act. Bailey, however, got to keep the name the Saints and soldiered on, taking time here and there to record his own solo records.

To most Americans, the Saints were a dead issue, if they were still an issue at all. (I'm) Stranded caught on with punk aficionados, but hardly anyone else; Eternally Yours came and went without a trace, and Prehistoric Sounds was never domestically released (neither were any of the post-Kuepper Saints records of the early '80s). So, by the time All Fools Day was released in 1987, there were many who thought the Saints were a brand new band -- and they were right. Gone were the rapid-fire guitar sound and bellowing vocals, replaced by sophisticated pop arrangements and more technically accomplished singing. The music was strong, intelligent pop that was better than much of the late-'80s "new wave." The next LP, Prodigal Son, wasn't as good, but did nothing to hurt the reputation of the "new" Saints. Oddly enough, Kuepper got together with Celibate Rifles guitarists Kent Steedman and Dave Morris and performed under the name the Aints. Gigging in Sydney, they generally played a set of (I'm) Stranded-era material and even recorded a couple of lo-fi live discs, all done for laughs.

It took almost a decade, however, for the next Saints (meaning Bailey plus others) album, 1997's Howling, to come out. The record portrayed a louder, edgier band than what had been seen on Prodigal Son, and was followed soon after by Everybody Knows the Monkey. In 2002 Spit the Blues Out was released and three years later, with the Church's guitarist Marty Willson-Piper on board, the Saints issued the rocking Nothing Is Straight in My House, followed by Imperious Delerium (without Willson-Piper) in 2006.

#3 23.05.2007 12:58

Jean-Babtiste
spämking machine

Kaks ekaa saa kai samalla cd:llä, mutta eka pitää olla vinyylinä! Se on parasta, kun neula pureutuu vinyylin pintaan, ja sitä volaa saa ihan tosissaan vääntää. Vaan kyllä se sitten kuulostaakin hyvältä!

'My only premise is that there are times when one must attack with complete ruthlessness and fight with lethal fury. This fury and ruthlessness must be harnessed and directed to the gravest possible damage—to kill.'

ontäs aiankin joku turska joo DECICIDERS

#4 23.05.2007 14:09

Feggy
kaiken maailman dosentti

Jean-Babtiste wrote:

Kaks ekaa saa kai samalla cd:llä, mutta eka pitää olla vinyylinä! Se on parasta, kun neula pureutuu vinyylin pintaan, ja sitä volaa saa ihan tosissaan vääntää. Vaan kyllä se sitten kuulostaakin hyvältä!

Klap klap! Mullon kaikki Saintsit vinyylinä tai siis pari puuttuu loppupäästä.

#5 10.08.2007 11:38

martes martes

Feggy wrote:

Klap klap! Mullon kaikki Saintsit vinyylinä tai siis pari puuttuu loppupäästä.

Onks sul tää?:

l_d9199ab01f69c42c9701b978e1ef9f7c.jpg

Jean-Babtiste wrote:

Eka pitää olla vinyylinä! Se on parasta, kun neula pureutuu vinyylin pintaan, ja sitä volaa saa ihan tosissaan vääntää. Vaan kyllä se sitten kuulostaakin hyvältä!

#6 10.08.2007 17:35

Feggy
kaiken maailman dosentti

martes martes wrote:

[quote:92f61f29f9="Feggy"]Klap klap! Mullon kaikki Saintsit vinyylinä tai siis pari puuttuu loppupäästä.

Onks sul tää?:

l_d9199ab01f69c42c9701b978e1ef9f7c.jpg

Jean-Babtiste wrote:

Eka pitää olla vinyylinä! Se on parasta, kun neula pureutuu vinyylin pintaan, ja sitä volaa saa ihan tosissaan vääntää. Vaan kyllä se sitten kuulostaakin hyvältä!

[/quote:92f61f29f9]

No prkl, ei ole! Hieno kansikin kaiken lisäksi!

#7 10.08.2007 23:13

Jean-Babtiste
spämking machine

Oliks toi ny se eka demo vinyylille prässättynä? 017

Eiku se I'm Strandedhan olikin oikeesti näin biggrin

'My only premise is that there are times when one must attack with complete ruthlessness and fight with lethal fury. This fury and ruthlessness must be harnessed and directed to the gravest possible damage—to kill.'

#8 25.01.2008 21:35

:center::huig::center:
Holtiton Mies joka Imppaa ja Grillaa

shanks wrote:

Vai olisko tää raskaampaan?

No kyl, onhan tää ajankohtaansa suhteuttaen raskasta...noin mä ainakin nää yleensä yritän kattoa.

Tosiaan ekat kaks ovat olleet nyt kuuntelussa ja hiton hyväähän tää.

Ei mitään muttia, kaikki boikottiin saatana!!

Security Fee:n hinnalla sisään!

#9 03.11.2019 23:08

Jean-Babtiste
spämking machine

Saintsin eka taitaa olla mun kaikkien aikojen suosikki punk rock älpee.

Siitäkin huolimatta, että tää on lopulta vaan stoogesia soitettuna nopeemmin (jota toki moni muukin punk-bändi tavallaan on tehnyt), ja mukana pari hitaampaa biisiä, jotka vois olla melkeinpä rollareita. Ja että homma tapahtui irrallaan lontoosta ja nykistä, toki siellä on voitu kaikenlaista muutakin protopunkkia kuin detroitilaisia kuunnella. Ja radio birdman oli kanssa olemassa.

Samaa vanhaa historiallista spekulointia, perustelua ja pätemistä. Mutta: kaikki biisit ässäkamaa, sairaan ehjä levy, ja luonnollista variaatiotakin siis saatu onnistuneesti mukaan. Soundit on oikkesti juuri sopivat tälle levylle, sillä soiton mieletön draivi ei kärsi tippaakaan, ja kuepperin kitara vetää äänivalleja toistensa perään.

#10 03.11.2019 23:32

:center::huig::center:
Holtiton Mies joka Imppaa ja Grillaa

Saintsin toka taitaa olla mun kaikkien aikojen suosikki punk rock älpee.

Ei mitään muttia, kaikki boikottiin saatana!!

Security Fee:n hinnalla sisään!

#11 03.11.2019 23:33

hiirimattona
maarihittona
Website

Kuunneltiin viikonloppuna Iron Maidenin ekaa ja alkoi naurattaa miten Prowlerissa Di'Anno kuulosti silleen äkkiä ajateltuna ihan Chris Baileyltä. icon_razz

The Saints > Iron Maiden. Statementtiä..

bzort glorf bööth

#12 03.11.2019 23:48

Jean-Babtiste
spämking machine

Toka on liian pop heh eka demo paras lol

#13 03.11.2019 23:49

Jean-Babtiste
spämking machine

hiirimattona wrote:

Kuunneltiin viikonloppuna Iron Maidenin ekaa ja alkoi naurattaa miten Prowlerissa Di'Anno kuulosti silleen äkkiä ajateltuna ihan Chris Baileyltä. icon_razz

The Saints > Iron Maiden. Statementtiä..

Tää pitää tsekata ens kerralla

1. Index
  2. » Raskaampaa
  3. » The Saints

Board footer